Friday 16 November 2012

“Manual for beginner teachers” by Marina

Berlin - Germany

Deva - Romania

Istambul - Turkey

“Manual for beginner teachers” by Marina

I was in the middle of my report about “Education as an essential step to end Capitalism” when, suddenly, I had to stop to have a meeting.
On the table were refreshments, few papers and the idea about to work in PTG. PTG is a school integrated in Tvind that have as basis the education of youngsters with special needs together with very capable and smart youngsters. The combination of these two groups creates a special way of education that provides, for both, unique experiences.
The point of that meeting was to propose us – to me and my team – different tasks that we could do, during our next three months of saving up.
Travel for one month, by bus, since Denmark until Turkey, with a group of eight students. – Was the proposal that I couldn’t reject and to be honest, in my mind I just had the words “It will be awesome!”
I remember to ask what would be my role during the travel, since I did not have any experience as a teacher, and was explained that, since I am a very political person, my main role was to be mainly together with the four student girls, talking and supporting them, in the future new situations.
On 1st of November, I put my bags in the bus, said goodbye to my team and Tvind in general, and “embarked” in one more trip that would blow my mind.
If you are planning to travel with a group of students through fourteen different countries, during one month, please read these advises:

I - Practice body language
-Sorry, I don’t understand Danish. – I said. And she started to move her hands, trying to explain me something. I got the idea, answered with my hands also, and we moved on.
Language can be a barrier, and that is a problem well known all over the world, but what to do when you have to break down all the barriers and communicate, doesn’t matter what, with your students?
Let me start to say, very simple, that is not easy. You see yourself in a completely new environment and new country, with people that you don’t really know, jumping around, making noise and speaking a language that you don’t understand. English might not help, Danish is a hard option, silence cannot be used during one month and body language is, definitely, not enough. So, my advice is: use all. Make yourself understandable, as much as you can and enjoy it: Laugh about yourself, the others, together, and let the communication flow.

II – Love before Demand
Never demand something from your students before you give them your shoulder to sleep during a long night travel, in the bus. Or before you prepare them a dedicated sandwich or put water in their face when they are not feeling well. Give them your love and compassion before you demand whatever is needed, otherwise your words will fall in an empty hole between you and them.

III – Swallow your strong opinions and proud
The teachers working with you have more experience with the students - that is a fact. But you will consider many times their reactions, decisions and attitudes and you will conclude that, sometimes, they are not the best. However, their experience will talk louder and you, as a beginner teacher, only have to understand that is your time to learn with them. Take for you the behaviours you think are correct and improve the ones that you think are not appropriate. However, independently of your opinions, do not contradict the other teachers in front of the students. It is better let the students think that you don’t have strong opinions or preferences than start arguing with their authority role model, in their front.

IV – Be creative and teach through your attitudes
Your students will appreciate and you will have fun. Use your creativity to surprise them, to get their attention, to make them laugh and mainly, to make them learn!
Show through attitudes, the principles and values that you want them to learn. If you try to teach something and your attitudes show the opposite, you will not manage to pass the message you want.

To be continued... ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment